Movember is Upon Us
This month the PictureHealing team is joining the Movember movement and growing out their stashes to help change the face of men’s health. Movember aims to put a fun twist on this serious issue. Using the moustache as a catalyst, Movember wants to bring about change and give men the opportunity and confidence to talk about their health more openly. Check out our team page and help spread the word or make a donation!
The reasons for the poor state of men’s health in the US and around the world are numerous and complex and this primarily due to a lack of awareness of the health issues men face.
This can largely be attributed to the reluctance of men openly discussing the subject due to longstanding traditions, coupled with an ‘it’ll be alright’ attitude. Men are less likely to schedule doctors’ appointments when they feel ill or for an annual physical, thereby denying them the chance of early detection and effective treatment of common diseases. Movember aims to increase early detection, diagnosis and effective treatment, as this will ultimately reduce the number of deaths from cancer. It’s time men face the startling health facts.
- The average life expectancy for men is five years less than women (presently 77 years old compared to 82).
- 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime.
- 1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime.
- Testicular cancer is the most common cancer in American males between the ages of 15 and 34.
- An estimated 43,890 men will be diagnosed with skin cancer.
- An estimated 13 million adult men over the age of 20 in the US have diabetes- and a third do not know it.
- 1 in 8 men who suffer from mental illness actually seek help (inspire.org)
- 24% of men are less likely to go to the doctor compared to women